Conor Kennedy in Ukraine Credit : Courtesy Robert F. Kennedy Jr. Conor Kennedy, the son of U.S. Health Secretary Robert F. Kennedy Jr., has been placed on Russia’s international wanted list after traveling to Ukraine in 2022 to fight with the country’s International Legion.
A Moscow court on Aug. 12 authorized Kennedy’s arrest in absentia on charges of mercenarism, according to Russian state media outlet TASS. If detained, Kennedy faces a sentence of seven to ten years in prison. Ukraine publication Kyiv Post reported on the sentencing this week.
View this post on Instagram
Despite having no prior military experience, Kennedy traveled to Ukraine without informing his family and enlisting with Ukraine’s International Legion. He served on the northeastern frontline for roughly two and a half months before returning to the United States to resume law studies at Georgetown University.
Related Stories
Movies Why Emily Watson Will Never Quit Sarajevo Film Festival
Movies San Sebastian Film Festival to Open With Fatih Akin's 'Ghost Song'
He later described the experience in an Instagram post, writing that he had been deeply moved by events in Ukraine and knew immediately he wanted to help. He said he told almost no one where he was going or his real name, not wanting to be treated differently.
View this post on Instagram
RFK Jr., now serving as U.S. Health Secretary in the Trump administration, said at the time that he and his wife, actress Cheryl Hines, only became suspicious of their son’s whereabouts when credit card charges appeared from Poland and then Ukraine. He later said he was proud of his son’s decision. Neither Kennedy nor RFK Jr. have commented publicly on the Russian court’s action.
Conor Kennedy, who was once in a high-profile relationship with pop star Taylor Swift, earlier this month announced his engagement to Brazilian singer Giulia Be.
THR Newsletters
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day
Subscribe Sign Up