Wednesday, August 19, 2026
Home / World / Mourinho fires Real Madrid shot at Barcelona sayin...
World

Mourinho fires Real Madrid shot at Barcelona saying he ‘didn’t need’ Rodri

CN
CitrixNews Staff
·
Mourinho fires Real Madrid shot at Barcelona saying he ‘didn’t need’ Rodri
googleAdd Al Jazeera on GoogleinfoReal Madrid manager Jose MourinhoNew Barcelona signing Rodri had been in talks with Jose Mourinho's Real Madrid [File: Jose Sena Goulou/EPA]By The Associated PressPublished On 19 Aug 202619 Aug 2026

Jose Mourinho is confident Real Madrid will be fine without Rodri despite admitting the club made “a very good offer” to try to sign the Spain captain.

Rodri officially signed with Madrid’s rival Barcelona after a transfer from Manchester City on Tuesday.

Mourinho, back with Madrid for a second stint, said he spoke twice with Rodri as Madrid considered adding the World Cup’s best player to its squad, but felt the midfielder didn’t seem certain about his future.

“The club contacted him, but he had some doubts,” Mourinho said in an interview with the TV show El Chiringuito late Tuesday.

“What I think happened is that his doubts have created doubts for me. He’s an extraordinary player and was very correct with us.

“But Real Madrid is of such a stature that it can’t have players who think twice about being with the club.”

Just hours before Rodri’s signing was made official by Barcelona on Tuesday, Mourinho was officially presented by Madrid in an unusual ceremony closed to the media and fans.

Mourinho, who was hired in June and took over in July at the start of the preseason, downplayed the importance of Rodri to Madrid.

“I don’t need Rodri. We have solutions, quality players,” Mourinho said, adding that he didn’t think Barcelona got the best of Madrid by signing the midfielder.

“Victories are won on the field; they are won with titles.”

After a second consecutive season without a major title, the club has bought players such as Marc Cucurella, Ibrahima Konate, Denzel Dumfries, Bernardo Silva and Yan Diomande.

“I’m not saying there won’t be any more signings because the market is still open, but if you ask me directly if it’s closed [for Madrid], yes, it’s closed,” he said.

Originally reported by Al Jazeera. Read the full story at the original source.