Wednesday, August 19, 2026
Home / World / Israeli army orders criminal investigation into ki...
World

Israeli army orders criminal investigation into killing of Palestinian girl Hind Rajab in Gaza

CN
CitrixNews Staff
·
Israeli army orders criminal investigation into killing of Palestinian girl Hind Rajab in Gaza
Hind Rajab smiles at the camera.Image source, Family/Reuters
  • Published19 August 2026, 13:18 BST
Updated 6 minutes ago

The Israeli army has ordered a criminal investigation into the killing in Gaza of six-year-old Hind Rajab, whose death was internationally condemned after a desperate recording of her speaking to paramedics was broadcast around the world.

The Palestinian child was one of seven family members travelling in a vehicle that came under Israeli fire in Gaza City in January 2024.

She initially survived the attack that killed several family members, but her body was recovered days later along with her relatives and two paramedics who had tried to save her in an ambulance.

In a statement, the Israel Defense Forces (IDF) said that "following a review of the findings" and "due to alleged failures in the coordination of the movement of the Palestine Red Crescent ambulance, it has been decided to initiate a criminal investigation of the incident by Military Police Criminal Investigation Division".

This is the first time the IDF has admitted opening fire on the vehicle carrying Hind and her family.

Previously the IDF said its initial investigation suggested no Israeli troops had been in the area at the time of the incident.

This breaking news story is being updated and more details will be published shortly. Please refresh the page for the fullest version.

You can receive Breaking News on a smartphone or tablet via the BBC News App. You can also follow @BBCBreaking on X, external to get the latest alerts.

Related topics

Originally reported by BBC News. Read the full story at the original source.