Sunday, August 23, 2026
Home / World / China missile test draws criticism from Australia,...
World

China missile test draws criticism from Australia, New Zealand, Japan

CN
CitrixNews Staff
·
China missile test draws criticism from Australia, New Zealand, Japan
googleAdd Al Jazeera on GoogleinfoA DF-5C liquid-fueled intercontinental strategic nuclear missile in a military parade in Beijing.A DF-5C liquid-fuelled intercontinental strategic nuclear missile appears in a military parade in Beijing [File: Andy Wong/AP Photo]By AP and ReutersPublished On 6 Jul 20266 Jul 2026

China has test-fired a missile from a nuclear submarine that landed in “designated waters” in the Pacific Ocean, state news agency Xinhua reports, drawing criticism and concerns from Japan, Australia and New Zealand.

The Chinese navy test-launched the long-range ballistic missile at 12:01pm (04:01 GMT) on Monday from one of its nuclear-powered submarines in the South Pacific, Xinhua reported.

Xinhua said the test was a “routine arrangement” of China’s annual military training and was not directed at any specific target.

Australian Foreign Minister Penny Wong confirmed that China had notified the government of plans to conduct a sea-based missile test into the Pacific but said the action was “destabilising” to the region.

“Australia has been clear that this proposed test is in the context of a rapid military build-up by China, which is lacking in the transparency and reassurance as to intent that the region expects,” Wong told reporters at a news conference in the Fijian capital, Suva.

Japan’s government said it was notified of the missile launch and had urged China to reconsider.

“We expressed our grave concern over the Chinese military’s increased activity,” the government said, adding that Japan’s coastguard had been notified on Sunday by ⁠Chinese authorities about falling space debris that could fall within Japan’s exclusive economic zone.

The New Zealand government said it was informed of the planned launch within hours of it taking place.

“New Zealand considers this an unwelcome and concerning development. We, like our neighbours in other ‌Pacific countries, have no interest in China using the South Pacific as a testing site for missile capability,” Foreign Minister Winston Peters said in a statement.

Originally reported by Al Jazeera. Read the full story at the original source.